Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Book Review: Matched by Ally Condie

While Matched was a welcome break from the vampires, werewolves, angels and witches currently flooding the YA market, it did not live up to its hype for me. The setting of the novel is thought-provoking, and the idea that even the color of a dress you'd choose is predicted ahead of time (there was a 78% chance she'd choose the green one, for example) is disturbing. However, that's pretty much as far as the book goes. Their society is one not heavily based on emotions, and this comes through the writing as well: I just didn't care very much about what happened.

There's a second book coming out in November, and I had it on my wishlist but removed it; if I decide to come back to this series, it'll be through the library.
3 out of 5 stars
Pin It

No comments: