Friday, January 18, 2013
So here's my final list of the year 2012. I originally set myself a goal of 40 books, but passed that limit with a few more months of the year to go. So I upped my goal to 60, and completely read 54. Not too shabby!
31. Shadow Kin: A Novel of the Half-Light City by M.J. Scott – 4 stars and I’m looking forward to reading book 2: Blood Kin
32. Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, Book 1) by Karen Chance – Another series I’m re-reading, but in this case, it’s to catch up to the next book in the series. One of the best Urban Paranormal series!
34. Claimed by Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, Book 2) by Karen Chance - 4 stars
35. Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer Series, Book 3) by Karen Chance - This was another re-read, and I love it still!
36. Grave Witch (Alex Craft, Book 1) by Kalayna Price - Loved it! 5 stars
37. Throat by R.A. Nelson - Didn't hold my attention well enough to follow the story but what I read was good; I skimmed rather than read. 3 stars
38. Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane, Book 1) by Jaye Wells - Laughed my butt off at several parts, so a very enjoyable and unique urban paranormal - 4 stars
39. Once in a Full Moon by Ellen Schreiber - This is one of those books classified as "YA" that really are meant for their age level. I believe young readers, especially girls in the 9-12 range, will enjoy it. As an adult though...there was nothing unique or intriguing about this story. 1 star
40. Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card - If you want a book to make you think, deeply, about time travel--this is exactly for you! But I don’t... 3 stars
41. Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, Book 1) by Ilona Andews - This is my absolute favorite urban paranormal series, and Kate Daniels is on my Top 10 list of favorite characters EVER! This is the 3rd time I've read books 1-3; I have books 4 and 5 now, so I'm going to go ahead and list them all. Oh, and 4 stars on this one--it's a bit of a slow start.:)
42. Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, Book 2) Again, 5 stars Seriously, this has one of the best endings in any paranormal book ever!
43. Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, Book 3) Excellent book, and the romance begins to get really hot in this one! 5 stars
44. Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, Book 4) Great ending--love this series so much!
45. Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, Book 5) - And yet again, another great ending. One of the best things about this series is that the endings are complete enough to leave you satisfied, but also interesting enough to make you continue on to the next book.
46. Divergent (Book 1) by Veronica Roth - 5 stars, and I'm very excited to continue the story in "Insurgent.” However, book 3 is not out til Fall 2013!
47. Insurgent(Book 2) by Veronica Roth was just as excellent - another 5 stars, and I eagerly await the next part of the story.
48. Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake - WOW! A great (and scary as all get-out) story, this is right along the same line as “Supernatural” on TV, so I really enjoyed it.
49. Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick - I’ve tried to finish this over and over and just can’t. I’m listing it because I made it most of the way this time. This is one of several popular YA superstar books that I just don’t “get;” to me, there is zero appeal. Maybe it’s the gorgeous cover art.... 1 star
50. The Splendor Falls by Rosemary Clement-Moore - Another spooky story, this one set in rural Alabama and described so well that even if I wasn’t from Birmingham, I’d be able to understand how much the setting impacts the story. 4 stars
51. Hourglass by Myra Mcentire - a time-travel story I absolutely loved (but still made me want to sit down and draw a timeline, lol.) I can’t wait to read the next book, Timepiece. 4.5 stars
52. Shadow Blade by Seressia Glass - set in Atlanta, this novel was unique because of the use of Egyptian and and ancient African "good vs evil" basis. I really enjoyed this one and I look forward to spending more time with the characters. 4 stars
53. Hating Heidi Foster by Jeffrey Blount - I received this book through the Early Reviewers group, and this was a good story. It had a deeper meaning than I expected, and the twist at the end is particularly unexpected. 3.5 stars
54. Angelfall (Penryn and the End of Days) by Susan Ee - Great!! Very original and I can't wait for book 2!! A great book to end the year with :) 4.5 stars
Wednesday, January 2, 2013
More info about the One Little Word meme can be found on Ali Edwards' blog through this link. It's 2013, and there have been lots of changes in my personal life recently. To celebrate, reflect and strengthen my life, this year my word is
1. of superior quality or excellence: a better coat; a better speech.
2. morally superior; more virtuous: They are no better than thieves.
3. of superior suitability, desirability, acceptableness, etc
4. preferable: a better time for action.
5. larger; greater: the better part of a lifetime.
6. improved in health; healthier than before.
7. completely recovered in health.
8. in a more appropriate or acceptable way or manner:
to behave better.
9. to a greater degree; more completely or thoroughly: He knows
the way better than we do. I probably know him better than anyone else.
10. more: I walked better than a mile to town.
10. more: I walked better than a mile to town.