Saturday, June 16, 2012

Books I've Read in 2012: 1-30

My original goal was 50, and it looks like I'll hit that by July 4th.  So I'm setting my goal higher--I'm aiming for 60 books this year now :)

This post has the list of books 1-30 - the sidebar gadget gets too crowded for me to leave the entire list up.
1. A Dirty Job: A Novel by Christopher Moore 4 stars--a subtle, intellectual humor--my favorite scene is Charlie feeding the Hellhounds kitchen appliances ;P I've already bought another book by this author.
2. Spin: A Novel by Catherine McKenzie which I received from LibraryThing's Early Reviewers. 4 stars and a fun read, reviewed here.
3. Frost Moon (Skindancer, Book 1) by Anthony Francis 5 stars! I love this book. My husband says I love all my books lately, but this is a great world I can't wait to get back into in book two!
4. A Blue So Dark by Holly Schindler 3.5 stars--see my review here.
5. The Cubicle Next Door by Siri L. Mitchell 1 star, I did not like this one at all. I have nothing nice to say about it.
6. The Ivy by Lauren Kunze 1 star, and once again, nothing nice to say.
7. Hex Hall (Book 1) by Rachel Hawkins 3.5 stars Nothing bad, I'm just rather overloaded on the paranormal school storyline. I'm not going to get the rest of this series.
8. Shadowcry (The Secrets of Wintercraft) by Jenna Burtenshaw 5 stars; similar to Graceling by Kristin Cashore
9. Delirium by Lauren Oliver I like it, I think it's a great idea for a dystopian society. It's a little slow in the beginning, then you get hooked and can't put it down. 4 stars
10. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins Well, I hate to admit it, but I'm totally hooked. If you've been putting this one aside because of it's "over-hyped" reputation, read it anyway! It will be clear within the first 3 chapters or so why this book is destined to become a Hollywood blockbuster.
11. Catching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger Games) by Suzanne CollinsVery awesome, but a little slow (yet this perfectly embodies Katniss's feelings in this book.)
12. Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3) 3 stars :(
13. Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton See my review--5 stars!
14. The Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King 2 stars
15. Fallen Angel by Heather Terrell Not bad, kept me interested; 3.5 stars
16. The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda which I received from LibraryThing's Early Reviewers. At times, the story was very exciting, but mostly it dragged. 3 stars
17. The Thirteen: A Novel by Susie Moloney which I received from LibraryThing's Early Reviewers group. I'm at a loss for words. This is not a book I'd recommend at all. 2 stars
18. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor This novel was on Amazon's Best Books of 2011, and I can see why. I was extremely into this book, but then it took a hard left turn and lost me. 3.5 stars
19. What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty With this one, I don't know.... How can you forget all 3 of your children being born and growing up? I was curious enough to see where it lead, but it was just...odd.  3 stars I think this is a very talented author though--see #23!
20. White Cat (Curse Workers, Book 1) by Holly Blackwhich was very original, and I even enjoyed reading it a second time – 4 stars
21. Red Glove (Curse Workers, Book 2) by Holly Black which was interesting enough for me to want to continue the series, but I’m giving it only 3 stars
22. Poison: A Novel of the Renaissance by Sara Poole 2 stars for me, but I think it would be better for those more familiar of the time period and politics
23. The Hypnotist’s Love Story by Liane Moriarty, an ARC from LibraryThing’s Early Reviewers group - This book continued past where I thought it would have ended, and that additional part of the book was the better part (does that make sense?) I liked this more than What Alice Forgot - 4 stars
24. The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan was extremely awesome, with a twist I truly didn’t see coming, and I wish I had the next book already! Don’t you love that feeling? - 5 stars
25. Feed (Newsflesh Book 1) by Mira Grant This was slow going for me, and then my zombies drowned—my book got water damage, lol. So no rating....
25. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Re-Read)
26. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Re-Read)
27. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Re-Read)
28. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Re-Read)
29. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Re-Read)
30. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Re-Read)
Pin It

No comments: