Thursday, January 26, 2012

Disappointed In Mommy--With An Update!

My 5-year-old son loves rainbows.  He's always asking me what order the colors go in, and I say "Roy G. Biv."  I bet you do too.  :)  This is one of those you learn in school that you couldn't forget if you tried.  Just in case, though, the order of the colors is:
Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Indigo
Violet
and by taking the first letter of each color, you get "Roy G. Biv." 

So I've been working on creating yet another art journal.  I started to say that I have no idea why I'm doing this when I have one huge art journal that is swelling at the binding but holding tight for now, a separate "Rage" journal, and 2 others that didn't work out.  But I do know why I'm doing this:
REDUCE
It is my goal for this year.  So, I'm down-sizing my library of books.  I started the project a couple of weeks ago, and I'm still at it.  The easiest place for me to start was my children's books section.  While James is an avid reader, there are quite a few books that we he has no interest in, and some books I've had for a really long time that are just "too nice." We've never read them, and there are people who want them, so out the door they go.

I found this Peter Pan book, and the illustrations inside are just beautiful.  There's one of mermaids that is so amazing it inspires a color scheme for an entire room!  The problem is that I find Peter Pan to be a little creepy.  Ironic, right, that I love Twilight so much and yet a children's book about a boy who can fly showing up in my kid's bedroom freaks me out.  LOL

So I picked a random page and began to create art.  And it promptly rubbed off the super-shiny page.  Markers, gel pens, even pencils were no match for the shiny cream-colored pages.  Gesso was a good idea, but I don't have any of that.  I do, however, have a lot of craft paints which will dry to a matte finish that has the perfect "teeth" for other mediums.  So I began to simply start at the beginning and paint my way through the book: backgrounds for now, and if I'm inspired to do more, it's all good.
Super-Shiny Cream vs. Blue Paint
I showed James the first several pages, and he asked if he could paint a few.  It was bedtime, so instead I let him decide what the first picture in the book should be: he chose a rainbow.
This was his reaction: I'm apparently NOT a good rainbow-maker.  Even with Roy G. Biv, I failed.  I'm still clueless why exactly, but as I finished he said "Mo-om!" in this tone of "Lord give me the strength to deal with this woman" and I looked up in time to see the disgusted shaking of his head.
As I go to bed tonight, I am a sad Mommy, not to mention being a very criticized "artist."


UPDATE:

In spite of seeing this "official" and "scientific" rainbow, James says a rainbow has both pink and purple in it.  So I was indeed wrong: the colors go in order from left to right, which makes good old Roy G. Biv make even more sense.
Pin It

No comments: