Saturday, June 25, 2011

On Perfection

Around Mother's Day 2010, I started to come out of a deep depression I'd been in for a very long time.  (Years, actually.)  I began to see some of the self-destructive ways I was living, and how to change some of these behaviors.  One of these, the most destructive in my opinion, is this need, this drive, for perfection that I have always felt.  I used to joke about it and say "Oh, it's just a Virgo thing," but the truth is, it's a Kim thing.   And it has to stop.

So this is what I came up with, and I feel the need to repeat this here, as I begin a new blog:

***I must learn, believe, take to heart, and endorse the realization that perfection is an illusion and it is unattainable.
***I am not perfect and I never can be perfect.  I can only do my best every day, even if my best is lying on the sofa watching TV.
***Having perfection as an ideal means I have already failed.

So, maybe you feel the need for perfection in your life too.  Stop it!  We are not perfect creatures, we can never be perfect creatures, and let's face it, life would be pretty boring if we were perfect!  Let's focus instead on the good things around us, and allow "not perfect" make us happy.
Pin It

No comments: